ratelimit for cps limit?

Brett Nemeroff
Hello list. I need to roughly limit cps. I was thinking that the ratelimit module would be good for this. I see it limits queues on packets per second. How does this correspond to calls per second? Or does it? Does anyone have any recommendations on how to effectively limit CPS? So basically I just need it for initial invites is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: ratelimit for cps limit?

Ovidiu Sas
That is the exact purpose of ratelimit module.
You can do automatic ratelimit as defined in the params or you can do
forced ratelimiting for every new INVITE (which will trigger a new
call).
It is very powerful and flexible.

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Brett Nemeroff<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list. I need to roughly limit cps. I was thinking that the ratelimit
> module would be good for this. I see it limits queues on packets per second.
> How does this correspond to calls per second? Or does it? Does anyone have
> any recommendations on how to effectively limit CPS? So basically I just
> need it for initial invites is what I'm looking for.
> Thanks,
> Brett

Re: ratelimit for cps limit?

Brett Nemeroff
I'm trying to wrap my head around this conceptually. I don't understand the forced ratelimiting you mention. Where is that in the docs?

The module shows limits for packet per second. Is that the same as calls per second? I know in the traditional sense it doesn't, but I'm not entirely sure what's being measured. Strictly speaking, I'm trying to limit INVITEs per second.
Thanks,
-Brett

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Ovidiu Sas <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is the exact purpose of ratelimit module.
You can do automatic ratelimit as defined in the params or you can do
forced ratelimiting for every new INVITE (which will trigger a new
call).
It is very powerful and flexible.

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Brett Nemeroff<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello list. I need to roughly limit cps. I was thinking that the ratelimit
> module would be good for this. I see it limits queues on packets per second.
> How does this correspond to calls per second? Or does it? Does anyone have
> any recommendations on how to effectively limit CPS? So basically I just
> need it for initial invites is what I'm looking for.
> Thanks,
> Brett

Re: ratelimit for cps limit?

Ovidiu Sas
Hello Brett,

See inlines.

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Brett Nemeroff<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to wrap my head around this conceptually. I don't understand the
> forced ratelimiting you mention. Where is that in the docs?

http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.5.x/ratelimit#id228398
By forced I meant imposing a ratelimiting algorithm.

> The module shows limits for packet per second. Is that the same as calls per
> second? I know in the traditional sense it doesn't, but I'm not entirely
> sure what's being measured. Strictly speaking, I'm trying to limit INVITEs
> per second.

Limiting initial INVITE packets is like limiting new calls.