re-REGISTER with To tag gets 404

Jeff Pyle
Hello,

The default config of Opensips takes any packet with a To tag but that
doesn't fall into the loose_route() category and responds with a 404 Not
here.  My config is based largely on the default one and contains this
portion.

I'm testing the SIP capabilities of a Mitel 5000 PBX.  The initial
registration is fine, but re-registrations contain To tag presented to the
Mitel in the 200 OK of the initial registration.  These re-registrations
receive the 404 Not here response.

Looking into RFC3261 I don't see anything specific to REGISTERs, only that
(paraphrased) subsequent transactions within a dialog should contain the
tags of the initial transaction.

Is the Mitel doing something wrong according to the RFC, or is the default
config mistreating this somehow?  Should an exception be added for
REGISTERs?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: re-REGISTER with To tag gets 404

Alex Balashov
Registrations do not establish a dialog.

On 12/30/2009 01:28 PM, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The default config of Opensips takes any packet with a To tag but that
> doesn't fall into the loose_route() category and responds with a 404 Not
> here.  My config is based largely on the default one and contains this
> portion.
>
> I'm testing the SIP capabilities of a Mitel 5000 PBX.  The initial
> registration is fine, but re-registrations contain To tag presented to the
> Mitel in the 200 OK of the initial registration.  These re-registrations
> receive the 404 Not here response.
>
> Looking into RFC3261 I don't see anything specific to REGISTERs, only that
> (paraphrased) subsequent transactions within a dialog should contain the
> tags of the initial transaction.
>
> Is the Mitel doing something wrong according to the RFC, or is the default
> config mistreating this somehow?  Should an exception be added for
> REGISTERs?
>

> Thanks,
> Jeff

Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems
Web     : http://www.evaristesys.com/
Tel     : (+1) (678) 954-0670
Direct  : (+1) (678) 954-0671

Re: re-REGISTER with To tag gets 404

Victor Pascual Avila
Please, see RFC 3261 - Section 10.2: "A REGISTER request does not
establish a dialog"

-Victor

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Jeff Pyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The default config of Opensips takes any packet with a To tag but that
> doesn't fall into the loose_route() category and responds with a 404 Not
> here.  My config is based largely on the default one and contains this
> portion.
>
> I'm testing the SIP capabilities of a Mitel 5000 PBX.  The initial
> registration is fine, but re-registrations contain To tag presented to the
> Mitel in the 200 OK of the initial registration.  These re-registrations
> receive the 404 Not here response.
>
> Looking into RFC3261 I don't see anything specific to REGISTERs, only that
> (paraphrased) subsequent transactions within a dialog should contain the
> tags of the initial transaction.
>
> Is the Mitel doing something wrong according to the RFC, or is the default
> config mistreating this somehow?  Should an exception be added for
> REGISTERs?
>

> Thanks,
> Jeff

Victor Pascual Ávila

Re: re-REGISTER with To tag gets 404

Olle E. Johansson

31 dec 2009 kl. 12.12 skrev Victor Pascual Avila:

> Please, see RFC 3261 - Section 10.2: "A REGISTER request does not
> establish a dialog"

Right, but there are many servers that request that you reuse the same dialog identifiers as the challenged transaction when you authenticate.

/O

Re: re-REGISTER with To tag gets 404

Jeff Pyle
Is there any danger in adapting the default config from:

   if (has_totag()) {

to:

   if (has_totag() && !is_method("REGISTER")) {

- Jeff

On 12/31/09 7:46 AM, "Olle E. Johansson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 31 dec 2009 kl. 12.12 skrev Victor Pascual Avila:
>
>> Please, see RFC 3261 - Section 10.2: "A REGISTER request does not
>> establish a dialog"
>>
> Right, but there are many servers that request that you reuse the same dialog
> identifiers as the challenged transaction when you authenticate.
>
> /O

Re: re-REGISTER with To tag gets 404

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

should be ok this way.

www.voice-system.ro

El Jueves, 31 de Diciembre de 2009, Olle E. Johansson escribió:
> 31 dec 2009 kl. 12.12 skrev Victor Pascual Avila:
> > Please, see RFC 3261 - Section 10.2: "A REGISTER request does not
> > establish a dialog"
>
> Right, but there are many servers that request that you reuse the same
>  dialog identifiers as the challenged transaction when you authenticate.

As there is no way a server can request that to the client, perhaps you mean
"many servers that require"? :)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <[hidden email]>