sip proxy and nat traversal

spencer
Hi,
I am trying to setup a sip proxy and I also want to do NAT traversal.  So I setup the residential config file using osipsconfig script.
I started to try and modify the routing logic in the config file and also setup rtpproxy.  I have not had too much luck with this yet.
Here are my question.
- Should I really be setting up 2 servers?  One sip proxy and one nat traversal server with rtp proxy?
- Could I use asterisk as the rtp proxy? And if so would i need opensips for nat traversal?

Also, any general advice or guidance would be welcome.

Thanks!

Re: sip proxy and nat traversal

Ali Pey
Hello,

No you don't need two servers. One server is more than enough.

There are a few ways you can achieve this. The easiest and most efficient way is to have RTP to go directly to asterisk instead of using RTP proxy. This would require proper port forwarding on your firewall.

You need proper configuration on both asterisk and opensips to negotiate with proper public IP addresses for both media and sip to your far end devices. You need to know NAT and SIP to really be able to set this up.

Regards,
Ali Pey