sip related question: via and contact headers with 0.0.0.0

sip related question: via and contact headers with 0.0.0.0

Carlos Oliva
Hi List:

This question is SIP related, I'm writing to the list just in case any SIP expert can help.

I'm facing random cases where some phones send to my OpenSips proxy a REGISTER with VIA and CONTACT host part with 0.0.0.0 address.

As far as I know this is not right, I can not see any similar in RFCs.

It happens mainly with Grandstream phones, but I saw this with 3CX softphones the last week.

The headers look like:

Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 0.0.0.0:30201;branch=z9hG4bK1519166325;rport;alias

Contact: <sip:MASKED-USERNAME@0.0.0.0:30201;transport=tls>;reg-id=1;+sip.instance="<urn:uuid:00000000-0000-1000-8000-000B828E658A>"

The issue happens using UDP and TLS protocol, I can discard a firewall ALG

The expires header is at configured value (1200 or 120 seconds) and all other headers (from, to, callId, ... ) seems to be OK

My questions is: This is right according RFC or is a bug on those phones? Maybe is right and I'm doing something wrong in my OpenSips config?

Thanks for your help,

Carlos Oliva

Re: sip related question: via and contact headers with 0.0.0.0

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Hi Carlos,

I do not claim to be SIP expert, but it has no sense in my opinion. Even more, I haven't seen anything like that. So I would say it is a bug.

My first reaction was to point to an ALG (that's something I came across), but if you do TLS this is out of discussion.

Shortly, I'm not aware of any legitimate case when an UAC should send 0.0.0.0 in VIA or Contact.

OpenSIPS Bootcamp 2017, Houston, US
  http://opensips.org/training/OpenSIPS_Bootcamp_2017.html

Contact: <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="sip:MASKED-USERNAME@0.0.0.0:30201;transport=tls"><sip:MASKED-USERNAME@0.0.0.0:30201;transport=tls>;reg-id=1;+sip.instance="<urn:uuid:00000000-0000-1000-8000-000B828E658A>"

The issue happens using UDP and TLS protocol, I can discard a firewall ALG

The expires header is at configured value (1200 or 120 seconds) and all other headers (from, to, callId, ... ) seems to be OK

My questions is: This is right according RFC or is a bug on those phones? Maybe is right and I'm doing something wrong in my OpenSips config?

Thanks for your help,

Carlos Oliva

Re: sip related question: via and contact headers with 0.0.0.0

Carlos Oliva
Thank you very much for your response Bogdan. Probably is a bug in Grandstream Firmware.

I will work with the manufacturer about this, but I was not completely sure if there was a corner case where this could be possible.

Thanks for your confirmation.

Thanks and regards,

Carlos Oliva