siptrace db connection now fails

Jeff Pyle
Hello,

Until recently siptrace (running on opensips svn) was able to connect
without a problem via mysql to its database.  Now, it fails will the
following error 2 seconds after startup:

ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Can't connect to MySQL
server on '207.xx.xx.xx' (4)
ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Can't connect to MySQL
server on '207.xx.xx.xx' (4)
ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 1
ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 4
ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener

But a network capture shows the server answered correctly.  Here's an
excerpt of the messaging:

MySQL Login Request user=opensips_up1 db=theshow
MySQL Response OK
MySQL Server Greeting proto=10 version=5.1.30-community-log
  ... after this opensips tears down the connections with [FIN, ACK] tagged
packets.

I'm not sure at what point it stopped working.  We haven't done any updates
on the mysql server, and only svn updates with opensips.  Here's the
siptrace config from opensips.cfg:

loadmodule "siptrace.so"
modparam("siptrace", "db_url",
"mysql://opensips_up1:[hidden email]/theshow")
#modparam("siptrace", "trace_flag", 7)
modparam("siptrace", "trace_on", 1)

I'm not sure where to start debugging this, since the DB server appears to
answer okay.  I tried updating to the most recent svn revsion, 5394, but no
change. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

Is this  1.4.4 or 1.5 ?

Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Until recently siptrace (running on opensips svn) was able to connect
> without a problem via mysql to its database.  Now, it fails will the
> following error 2 seconds after startup:
>
> ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Can't connect to MySQL
> server on '207.xx.xx.xx' (4)
> ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Can't connect to MySQL
> server on '207.xx.xx.xx' (4)
> ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
> ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
> ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
> ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
> ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 1
> ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
> ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 4
> ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
>

> But a network capture shows the server answered correctly.  Here's an
> excerpt of the messaging:
>
> MySQL Login Request user=opensips_up1 db=theshow
> MySQL Response OK
> MySQL Server Greeting proto=10 version=5.1.30-community-log
>   ... after this opensips tears down the connections with [FIN, ACK] tagged
> packets.
>
> I'm not sure at what point it stopped working.  We haven't done any updates
> on the mysql server, and only svn updates with opensips.  Here's the
> siptrace config from opensips.cfg:
>
> loadmodule "siptrace.so"
> modparam("siptrace", "db_url",
> "mysql://opensips_up1:[hidden email]/theshow")
> #modparam("siptrace", "trace_flag", 7)
> modparam("siptrace", "trace_on", 1)
>
> I'm not sure where to start debugging this, since the DB server appears to
> answer okay.  I tried updating to the most recent svn revsion, 5394, but no
> change. Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> Jeff

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Jeff Pyle
Hi Bogdan,

1.5.  But, I discovered I had the same problem on a 1.4.3 instance as well.
I was just about to report to the list that I solved the issue by restarting
the mysql server daemon.

Still odd, though.  The mysql server instance itself is running on CentOS
64bit, with mysql's RPMs (i.e. MySQL-server-community-5.1.30-0.rhel5).  Even
when Opensips couldn't connect, I could still connect from the opensips 1.5
machine using the mysql command line client.  That machine has
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0 on it from the
MySQL-Cluster-gpl-client-6.3.20-0.rhel5 RPM direct from mysql's site.

The good news is the problem has gone away.  The bad news is I have no idea
what caused it, or how to recreate it.

- Jeff

On 3/5/09 12:37 PM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Is this  1.4.4 or 1.5 ?
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Until recently siptrace (running on opensips svn) was able to connect
>> without a problem via mysql to its database.  Now, it fails will the
>> following error 2 seconds after startup:
>>
>> ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Can't connect to MySQL
>> server on '207.xx.xx.xx' (4)
>> ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error: Can't connect to MySQL
>> server on '207.xx.xx.xx' (4)
>> ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
>> ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
>> ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
>> ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
>> ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 1
>> ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
>> ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 4
>> ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
>>

>> But a network capture shows the server answered correctly.  Here's an
>> excerpt of the messaging:
>>
>> MySQL Login Request user=opensips_up1 db=theshow
>> MySQL Response OK
>> MySQL Server Greeting proto=10 version=5.1.30-community-log
>>   ... after this opensips tears down the connections with [FIN, ACK] tagged
>> packets.
>>
>> I'm not sure at what point it stopped working.  We haven't done any updates
>> on the mysql server, and only svn updates with opensips.  Here's the
>> siptrace config from opensips.cfg:
>>
>> loadmodule "siptrace.so"
>> modparam("siptrace", "db_url",
>> "mysql://opensips_up1:[hidden email]/theshow")
>> #modparam("siptrace", "trace_flag", 7)
>> modparam("siptrace", "trace_on", 1)
>>
>> I'm not sure where to start debugging this, since the DB server appears to
>> answer okay.  I tried updating to the most recent svn revsion, 5394, but no
>> change. Any suggestions?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

really strange, but I still suspect something related to the server. I
made a small improvement in the error loging, so next time when it will
happen, we get the error number also and this will help the identify the
error (the error string is a bit unclear).

So, just update from SVN and report if it happen again.

Thanks and regards,
Bogdan

Jeff Pyle wrote:

> [...]
>>> excerpt of the messaging:
>>>
>>> MySQL Login Request user=opensips_up1 db=theshow
>>> MySQL Response OK
>>> MySQL Server Greeting proto=10 version=5.1.30-community-log
>>>   ... after this opensips tears down the connections with [FIN, ACK] tagged
>>> packets.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure at what point it stopped working.  We haven't done any updates
>>> on the mysql server, and only svn updates with opensips.  Here's the
>>> siptrace config from opensips.cfg:
>>>
>>> loadmodule "siptrace.so"
>>> modparam("siptrace", "db_url",
>>> "mysql://opensips_up1:[hidden email]/theshow")
>>> #modparam("siptrace", "trace_flag", 7)
>>> modparam("siptrace", "trace_on", 1)
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where to start debugging this, since the DB server appears to
>>> answer okay.  I tried updating to the most recent svn revsion, 5394, but no

It happened once again.  So I updated from svn, recompiled, and reinstalled.
Then of course it didn't happen.  But if the trends hold, it will soon.  Is
there any particular debug level I need to be running to see the error
number?

- Jeff

On 3/9/09 7:32 AM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> really strange, but I still suspect something related to the server. I
> made a small improvement in the error loging, so next time when it will
> happen, we get the error number also and this will help the identify the
> error (the error string is a bit unclear).
>
> So, just update from SVN and report if it happen again.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hi Bogdan,
>>
>> 1.5.  But, I discovered I had the same problem on a 1.4.3 instance as well.
>> I was just about to report to the list that I solved the issue by restarting
>> the mysql server daemon.
>>
>> Still odd, though.  The mysql server instance itself is running on CentOS
>> 64bit, with mysql's RPMs (i.e. MySQL-server-community-5.1.30-0.rhel5).  Even
>> when Opensips couldn't connect, I could still connect from the opensips 1.5
>> machine using the mysql command line client.  That machine has
>> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0 on it from the
>> MySQL-Cluster-gpl-client-6.3.20-0.rhel5 RPM direct from mysql's site.
>>
>> The good news is the problem has gone away.  The bad news is I have no idea
>> what caused it, or how to recreate it.
>>

>> - Jeff
>>

>> On 3/5/09 12:37 PM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> Is this  1.4.4 or 1.5 ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bogdan

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

The info is also reported on the ERR level, so you will get it.

Thanks and regards,
Bogdan

Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hi Bogdan,
>
> It happened once again.  So I updated from svn, recompiled, and reinstalled.
> Then of course it didn't happen.  But if the trends hold, it will soon.  Is
> there any particular debug level I need to be running to see the error
> number?
>

> - Jeff
>

> On 3/9/09 7:32 AM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> really strange, but I still suspect something related to the server. I
>> made a small improvement in the error loging, so next time when it will
>> happen, we get the error number also and this will help the identify the
>> error (the error string is a bit unclear).
>>
>> So, just update from SVN and report if it happen again.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Bogdan
>>
>> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bogdan,
>>>
>>> 1.5.  But, I discovered I had the same problem on a 1.4.3 instance as well.
>>> I was just about to report to the list that I solved the issue by restarting
>>> the mysql server daemon.
>>>
>>> Still odd, though.  The mysql server instance itself is running on CentOS
>>> 64bit, with mysql's RPMs (i.e. MySQL-server-community-5.1.30-0.rhel5).  Even
>>> when Opensips couldn't connect, I could still connect from the opensips 1.5
>>> machine using the mysql command line client.  That machine has
>>> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0 on it from the
>>> MySQL-Cluster-gpl-client-6.3.20-0.rhel5 RPM direct from mysql's site.
>>>
>>> The good news is the problem has gone away.  The bad news is I have no idea
>>> what caused it, or how to recreate it.
>>>

>>> - Jeff

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Jeff Pyle
Hi Bogdan,

The db error happened again.  Here's what the logs showed:

 ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error(2003): Can't connect
to MySQL server on 'ww.xx.yy.zz' (4)
 ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
 ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
 ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 2
 ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
 ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error(2003): Can't connect
to MySQL server on 'ww.xx.yy.zz' (4)
 ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
 ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
 ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 0
 ERROR:core:main_loop: error in init_child for PROC_MAIN

Upon restarting opensips again, it connected okay.

- Jeff

On 3/9/09 10:22 AM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> The info is also reported on the ERR level, so you will get it.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hi Bogdan,
>>
>> It happened once again.  So I updated from svn, recompiled, and reinstalled.
>> Then of course it didn't happen.  But if the trends hold, it will soon.  Is
>> there any particular debug level I need to be running to see the error
>> number?
>>

>> - Jeff
>>

>> On 3/9/09 7:32 AM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> really strange, but I still suspect something related to the server. I
>>> made a small improvement in the error loging, so next time when it will
>>> happen, we get the error number also and this will help the identify the
>>> error (the error string is a bit unclear).
>>>
>>> So, just update from SVN and report if it happen again.
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Bogdan

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
HI Jeff,

you get the 2003 error code:

Error: 2003 (CR_CONN_HOST_ERROR)
Message: Can't connect to MySQL server on '%s' (%d)

which means the client cannot connect to host..So, you need to
investigate a bit around the network and mysql server.

Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hi Bogdan,
>
> The db error happened again.  Here's what the logs showed:
>
>  ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error(2003): Can't connect
> to MySQL server on 'ww.xx.yy.zz' (4)
>  ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
>  ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
>  ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 2
>  ERROR:core:main_loop: init_child failed for UDP listener
>  ERROR:db_mysql:db_mysql_new_connection: driver error(2003): Can't connect
> to MySQL server on 'ww.xx.yy.zz' (4)
>  ERROR:core:db_do_init: could not add connection to the pool
>  ERROR:siptrace:child_init: unable to connect database
>  ERROR:core:init_mod_child: failed to initializing module siptrace, rank 0
>  ERROR:core:main_loop: error in init_child for PROC_MAIN
>
> Upon restarting opensips again, it connected okay.
>

> - Jeff
>

> On 3/9/09 10:22 AM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> The info is also reported on the ERR level, so you will get it.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Bogdan
>>
>> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bogdan,
>>>
>>> It happened once again.  So I updated from svn, recompiled, and reinstalled.
>>> Then of course it didn't happen.  But if the trends hold, it will soon.  Is
>>> there any particular debug level I need to be running to see the error
>>> number?
>>>

>>> - Jeff

Re: siptrace db connection now fails

Jeff Pyle
Bogdan,

Very odd.  The network between the two is a gig switch.  And, from the
Opensips machine, I'm able to connect with the same credentials from the
mysql command line client.  Nevertheless, restarting the server solves it
for a while.  I'll look for updates there.

Thanks,
Jeff