stable apt repository

Jan D.
I'm very happy with the official OpenSIPS Debian/Ubuntu repository, in my case amd64, so many thanks to Dynamic Packet! From this moment on I use deb http://apt.opensips.org/ stable17 main.

A problem is that this deb's are nightly build, so every day I get a update. I don't want this on my production servers. (if i install a second server after some weeks this wil be different from the first one, also some changes are sometimes reversed because they were not so good after all).

Is it possible to add a real stable deb. We could then update from 1.7.2-1 to 1.7.2-2 if there are security updates (debian way), but keep the debs the same.

In this way I can choose between stable and nightly build.

Gr.

Jan

Re: stable apt repository

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu-2
Rudy ? you are the apt guru here :)

Thanks and regards,
Bogdan

On 02/27/2012 10:51 PM, Jan D. wrote:

> I'm very happy with the official OpenSIPS Debian/Ubuntu repository, in my
> case amd64, so many thanks to Dynamic Packet! From this moment on I use deb
> http://apt.opensips.org/ stable17 main.
>
> A problem is that this deb's are nightly build, so every day I get a update.
> I don't want this on my production servers. (if i install a second server
> after some weeks this wil be different from the first one, also some changes
> are sometimes reversed because they were not so good after all).
>
> Is it possible to add a real stable deb. We could then update from 1.7.2-1
> to 1.7.2-2 if there are security updates (debian way), but keep the debs the
> same.
>
> In this way I can choose between stable and nightly build.
>
> Gr.
>
> Jan

Re: stable apt repository

Rudy
Jan,

  Happy to hear you have made use of the new repository. The
stable packages are only built if there is a commit to the 1.7 branch.
Normally, the only time this happens is in case of a serious bug or security
update. One example of this is the rtpproxy issue in 1.7.2 that we
discovered and
patched (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3493764&group_id=232389&atid=1086410)
.
Unfortunately there is no easy way to handle this case since the branch itself
is being changed (ie: revision incremented).

 One suggested workaround could be to simply comment out the
sources.list entry in your production servers after initial
installation, and only
uncomment if you want to allow/check for updates. This is not
recommended though,
as commits/bugfixes to the branch are more often than not vital for
smooth operation.

Thanks in advance,
--Rudy
Dynamic Packet
Toll-Free: 888.929.VOIP ( 8647 )

Re: stable apt repository

Jan D.
Rudy,

Thanks for your quick reply. I understand that it already works 'the debian way', great. Security updates and serious bugs should be updated in stable!

Maybe I was misguided by the word 'Dialy' in  'Daily builds from branch/1.7' on the apt.opensips.org page.

Gr.

Jan