tm detached timer error

Jeff Pyle
Hello,

My log is full of messages like this today:

CRITICAL:tm:set_timer: set_timer for 1 list called on a "detached" timer --
ignoring: 0xa82f5930

Is there a common cause for this?  I discovered today I might be facing a
Cisco switch that's dropping packets like they're hot.  Any chance packet
loss might cause this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: tm detached timer error

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Jeff,

Even if it is a CRITICAL message, you can simply ignore it.

This happens when there are huge delays in the processing. Typically it
means the transaction was completed (in a way or the other) and some
late reply/requests are received  and tried to do something more on the
transaction:
Ex:
1) INVITE is received and sent out; transaction is created and in timer
2) no reply, so the transaction is removed from timer (as timeout occurs)
3) replies comes, find the transaction in WAIT (wait for deletion) state
and try to arm again the FR_INV_TIMER_LIST (id 1). -> err message

Again, just ignore them.

Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My log is full of messages like this today:
>
> CRITICAL:tm:set_timer: set_timer for 1 list called on a "detached" timer --
> ignoring: 0xa82f5930
>
> Is there a common cause for this?  I discovered today I might be facing a
> Cisco switch that's dropping packets like they're hot.  Any chance packet
> loss might cause this?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Re: tm detached timer error

Jeff Pyle
Bogdan,

That makes sense.  Excellent.  Thanks for the explanation.

- Jeff

On 4/3/09 12:33 PM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Even if it is a CRITICAL message, you can simply ignore it.
>
> This happens when there are huge delays in the processing. Typically it
> means the transaction was completed (in a way or the other) and some
> late reply/requests are received  and tried to do something more on the
> transaction:
> Ex:
> 1) INVITE is received and sent out; transaction is created and in timer
> 2) no reply, so the transaction is removed from timer (as timeout occurs)
> 3) replies comes, find the transaction in WAIT (wait for deletion) state
> and try to arm again the FR_INV_TIMER_LIST (id 1). -> err message
>
> Again, just ignore them.
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My log is full of messages like this today:
>>
>> CRITICAL:tm:set_timer: set_timer for 1 list called on a "detached" timer --
>> ignoring: 0xa82f5930
>>
>> Is there a common cause for this?  I discovered today I might be facing a
>> Cisco switch that's dropping packets like they're hot.  Any chance packet
>> loss might cause this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Re: tm detached timer error

Ovidiu Sas
In this case the CRITICAL should be turned into a NOTICE or WARNING.
And maybe a little more verbosity (type of reply ignored for
transaction with Call-ID) so it can be correlate with captured SIP
traffic.

Regards,
Ovidiu Sas

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Even if it is a CRITICAL message, you can simply ignore it.
>
> This happens when there are huge delays in the processing. Typically it
> means the transaction was completed (in a way or the other) and some
> late reply/requests are received  and tried to do something more on the
> transaction:
> Ex:
> 1) INVITE is received and sent out; transaction is created and in timer
> 2) no reply, so the transaction is removed from timer (as timeout occurs)
> 3) replies comes, find the transaction in WAIT (wait for deletion) state
> and try to arm again the FR_INV_TIMER_LIST (id 1). -> err message
>
> Again, just ignore them.
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My log is full of messages like this today:
>>
>> CRITICAL:tm:set_timer: set_timer for 1 list called on a "detached" timer --
>> ignoring: 0xa82f5930
>>
>> Is there a common cause for this?  I discovered today I might be facing a
>> Cisco switch that's dropping packets like they're hot.  Any chance packet
>> loss might cause this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Re: tm detached timer error

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Hi Ovidiu,

yes, that will better. Originally, this message was set as CRITICAL as
it was indicating some of the original bugs in the TM timers (double
timer removal, etc), but in time all related bugs were fixed and the
message was still kept as CRITICAL :)..

I will switch it to WARNING.

Ovidiu Sas wrote:

> In this case the CRITICAL should be turned into a NOTICE or WARNING.
> And maybe a little more verbosity (type of reply ignored for
> transaction with Call-ID) so it can be correlate with captured SIP
> traffic.
>

> Regards,
> Ovidiu Sas
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Even if it is a CRITICAL message, you can simply ignore it.
>>
>> This happens when there are huge delays in the processing. Typically it
>> means the transaction was completed (in a way or the other) and some
>> late reply/requests are received  and tried to do something more on the
>> transaction:
>> Ex:
>> 1) INVITE is received and sent out; transaction is created and in timer
>> 2) no reply, so the transaction is removed from timer (as timeout occurs)
>> 3) replies comes, find the transaction in WAIT (wait for deletion) state
>> and try to arm again the FR_INV_TIMER_LIST (id 1). -> err message
>>
>> Again, just ignore them.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bogdan
>>
>> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> My log is full of messages like this today:
>>>
>>> CRITICAL:tm:set_timer: set_timer for 1 list called on a "detached" timer --
>>> ignoring: 0xa82f5930
>>>
>>> Is there a common cause for this?  I discovered today I might be facing a
>>> Cisco switch that's dropping packets like they're hot.  Any chance packet
>>> loss might cause this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeff

Re: tm detached timer error

Jeff Pyle
Bogdan,

Could this also be a symptom of not enough "children" processes to handle
the load?

I'm seeing it show up in spurts, accompanied by a bunch of internally
generated 408s and other ugly things.

- Jeff

On 4/3/09 12:33 PM, "Bogdan-Andrei Iancu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Even if it is a CRITICAL message, you can simply ignore it.
>
> This happens when there are huge delays in the processing. Typically it
> means the transaction was completed (in a way or the other) and some
> late reply/requests are received  and tried to do something more on the
> transaction:
> Ex:
> 1) INVITE is received and sent out; transaction is created and in timer
> 2) no reply, so the transaction is removed from timer (as timeout occurs)
> 3) replies comes, find the transaction in WAIT (wait for deletion) state
> and try to arm again the FR_INV_TIMER_LIST (id 1). -> err message
>
> Again, just ignore them.
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Jeff Pyle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My log is full of messages like this today:
>>
>> CRITICAL:tm:set_timer: set_timer for 1 list called on a "detached" timer --
>> ignoring: 0xa82f5930
>>
>> Is there a common cause for this?  I discovered today I might be facing a
>> Cisco switch that's dropping packets like they're hot.  Any chance packet
>> loss might cause this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Re: tm detached timer error

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
Jeff,

could be but not necessaryly - more or less the trigger is delayed
signalling...now, what is the cause the delay (network, other servers,
internal processing) is hard to say....but you can try increasing the no
of procs.

I want to add some new stats to report the load on the socket (how many
packages are buffered on the socket) - this will give more useful info.